Wednesday 19 November 2008

Desperately seeking my perfect ankle boots

First rain, first cold, and here I am dreaming of the new ankle boots that I HAVE TO buy and that HAS TO go perfectly with my new Mango black skirt; straight, knee length, tight high waist, with big buttons on the waist.
Here I go looking for them, window shopping, magazine flipping, net surfing, desperately seeking this perfect ankle boots. They must be perfect, because I intend to wear it a lot, my beloved skirt; Black of course, slender, elegant, but also 7cm heel max. Now I know that a 10cm heel is more flattering to the leg, but let’s be realistic here, I’m going to wear them all day at the office, then the afternoon of shopping with my daughter, and of course during the long hours of dancing in Beirut (I might have added Edde Sands if it was summer, but it's not).
No more delay, straight to ABC (Ashrafieh of course, like any good Beirut fashionista will do); lots of great stuff. I try on San Marina boots, very nice, very relaxing (even with the heel exceeding my requested 7cm, but it’s ok I’ll manage); but with my skirt, they just don’t match.
I have to note here that not any ankle boots can go well with any skirt. You have to have a certain skirt length with a particular shape and length for the ankle boots to obtain the desired result, or else no use.
So I head for Mario Bruni, a place that I just love and for one simple reason (other than the fact that they actually DO have the 7cm criteria I look for), and it’s their designs; very happening, but at the same time classic enough to enable us to wear the same shoes beyond the two years that a trend is supposed to last. I don’t quite know how they do it, but they seem to excel in this; thumbs up gentlemen, thumbs up. Unfortunately, I didn’t find exactly what I was looking for, so I keep looking.
I enter Nine West, who offers typical American designs. And I suddenly notice THE perfect shoes that will go perfectly with my skirt; it will also look great with short skirts and shorts (that I like to wear a lot). Everything about it is just perfect, and it even has a name Antonela.


I immediately fall in love; forget about ankle boots, I want these shoes. Just one small detail, how can one wear open shoes in winter? I don’t quite get this wintery open shoes thing. I know it has this weird feminine yet strong appeal to them, and they would look just fabulous with opaque tights, but practically, what to you do when it’s pouring outside? Do you buy them to wear them just the two weeks that autumn lasts nowadays? Or do you let rain go inside and suffer to look beautiful (just like the saying goes)?
My dear Antonela, I will not forget you, but right now, I need to protect my feet. I just hope I will find my ankle boots soon, because I must say… I’m getting impatient.

No comments: